Saturday, May 7, 2011

Operation Baby Boot camp!

Yes, after 6 months of Emerson sleeping in her swing, the day finally came.  It was 'sleep in your crib' and 'sleep training' boot camp time meaning no more swing sleeping or middle of the night feedings.  I put it off for so long because I imagined many sleepless nights of crying (Emerson and I both), screaming, and more crying.  I knew it was time and I was ready for a fight.

After a night of celebrating Cinco De Mayo with friends, Emerson was worn out.  I made sure she was sound asleep before attempting to place her in her crib.  Usually, she wakes up the moment her body touches the mattress, but she did not make a peep.   So,  downstairs I went and crawled into my bed mentally prepared to pull an all nighter.  Around 10:30 pm the monitor exploded with screaming and crying.  After about 20 minutes of listening to crying, I went upstairs and gave her a little pep talk and went back downstairs and slid into bed.  David was sound asleep and it astonishes me how anyone could sleep through the chaos (I know he will read this and totally say that he did not sleep through it, but trust me he was. For the first time, I was actually thankful he was snoring because it helped drown out Emerson's screaming). I believe around 11:30 pm I threw the pillow over my head and shut my eyes.  It was not until 5:30 am that I awoke in complete shock.  She did it....she slept in her crib...through the night.  Seriously, was baby boot camp really that easy?  I am not 100% positive that boot camp is a complete success, but we are off to an amazing start.  It has been two nights in a row now that she has slept through the night.  I sure hope we are on to something!!  Now..to get her to take a nap in her crib and not her carseat.

A good night sleep makes for a happy baby...

No comments: