Friday, November 4, 2011

Peer Pressure

A few weeks ago, a new family moved in and they have two boys a little older than Hayden.  While we were at the park one day, the boys asked Hayden if he could ride a bike without training wheels.  I was not around when this conversation took place, but apparently they laughed at Hayden because he said he could not.  Well, ever since that incident, Hayden was determined to ride a bike without training wheels.  Seriously, for three days he begged to go outside and practice.  So I screwed his training wheels off and he practiced and practiced his little heart out.  Three days later...he was off and not looking back.  He was so proud he just had to ride his bike to the boys house and show them how he could ride without training wheels.  He rode right up to them with his chin held high and showed off his new skills.  A few minutes later, Hayden comes over with a sad look on this face and said "they said my bike was small."  Ugh...my heart broke for him.  Looks like we are bike shopping as soon as possible.  Sure enough, that weekend after Hayden's soccer game, David, Bob and Sonia went bike shopping as I went to Emerson's boyfriend, Henry's, birthday party.  He came back so proud with his big, blue, tricked out bike.  And Dad and the rest of the family looked stressed and worn out.  I am telling you, he is picky and has problems making a decision, just like his Mother.  His bike has a horn, a handlebar that sounds like a "dirt bike" and some blinky lights on the tires. This is one serious bike!  Even though it makes me sad that the boys upset Hayden, I know that it forced him to learn to ride his bike.  I can't wait to see him show off his bikes to those two boys....I bet they don't have a "dirt bike" as cool as Hayden's. 
cheering on big brother
teaching her all about riding a bike
A job well done

No comments: